Riccardo Viale is Full Professor of Epistemology of Social Sciences at the Department of Sociology of the University of Milano-Bicocca; Professor of Cognitive Economics and Public Management at the Scuola Nazionale di Amministrazione, Rome; Professor of Behavioral Economics for Decision Making at the LUISS School of Government, Rome. Visiting Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA (2015).
He is Founder and General Secretary of the "International Herbert A. Simon Society";
Editor in chief of Mind & Society – Cognitive Studies in Economics and Social Sciences (Springer);
President of the Rosselli Foundation of Turin;
From February 2010 until February 2014 he was Director of the Italian Cultural Institute in New York, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
He was Visiting Fellow and Research Scholar in many Universities : Oxford; Aix en Provence; Rice, Houston; Fribourg; Universidade Federal of Rio de Janeiro; University of California, Santa Barbara; Universidade Federal of Niteroi, Brazil, Columbia University, New York.
Among his main publications:
- L'Iceberg della conoscenza, Milano: Mondadori, in preparation;
- Human Rationality: Thinking Thanks to Constraints (with L. Macchi and M. Bagassi): MIT, in press;
- Methodological Cognitivism - Vol. 2: Cognition, Science, and Innovation, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2013;
- Methodological Cognitivism - Vol. 1: Mind, Rationality and Society, Heidelberg:Springer-Verlag, 2012;
- The Capitalization of Knowledge: a Triple Helix of University-Industry-Government (with H. Etzkowitz), Edward Elgar, 2010;
- Biological and Cultural Bases of Human Inference (with D. Andler and L. Hirschfeld) Mahwah: L. Erlbaum, 2006;
- L'explication des normes sociales, (with R. Boudon and P. Demeulenaere), Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 2001;
- Knowledge and Politics, Heidelberg: Physica-Verlag, 2001;
- Economics, Bounded Rationality and the Cognitive Revolution (with H. Simon, M. Egidi and R. Marris), Brookfield: Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd., 1992; second edition 2008;
- Metodo e società nella scienza. Fattori metodologici, sociali e cognitivi delle decisioni scientifiche. Milano: Franco Angeli, 1991;
- Modelling the Mind (with K.A. Mohyeldin Said, W.H. Newton-Smith, K.V. Wilkes), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1990.