Riccardo Viale Full Professor of Behavioral Sciences and Cognitive Economics at the Department of Economics and President of BIB-Behavioral Insights Bicocca of the University of Milano Bicocca. He is also a professor of behavioral economics at the School of Government and at the School of European Public Economics of LUISS, Rome. In 2019 he was visiting professor at the Chinese Academy of Science in Beijing.
In 2021 he will be visiting professor at London School of Economics. Sir Karl Popper, Herbert Simon, Raymond Boudon, and Gerd Gigerenzer were the main relationships and references of his research activity. Lecturer and scholar over the years in various foreign universities and research centers including the universities of Oxford, Columbia, Pennsylvania, California-Santa Barbara and the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin.
He is the Founder and Secretary General of the Herbert Simon Society and President of the Cognitive Insights Team at the Collegio Carlo Alberto in Turin. Editor in Chief of Mind & Society (Springer). He is Founder and Secretary General of Triple Helix Association and Founder, President of Scientific Committee and Vice-President of the board of Fondazione Cotec for Innovation.
His main areas of reasearch: Nudging; Behavioral Public Administration and Policy, Behavioral Economics and Finance; Social Neurocognition; Bounded Rationality; Cognitive Models of Reasoning and Decision Making; Cognitive Theory of Science and Technology; Cognitive Economics; Cognitive Anthropology;
Among his main publications:
- Viale, R. (2010). Knowledge driven capitalization of knowledge. In R. Viale, & H. Etzkowitz (a cura di), The capitalization of knowledge: A triple helix of universty-industry-government (pp. 31-73). Edward Elgar.
- Viale, R. (2018). Oltre il Nudge. Libertà di scelta, benessere e felicità. Bologna : Il Mulino.
- Macchi, L., Bagassi, M., Viale, R., Mosconi G, Gigerenzer, G., Elqayam, S., et al. (2016). Cognitive Unconscious and Human Rationality (L. Macchi, M. Bagassi, & R. Viale, a cura di). Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press.
- Viale, R. (2012). Methodological Cognitivism: Vol. 1: Mind, Rationality, and Society. Springer Berlin Heidelberg [10.1007/978-3-642-24743-9].
- Simon, H.A., Egidi, M., Viale, R., & Marris, R. (2008). Economics, Bounded Rationality and the Cognitive Revolution. Cheltenham : Elgar.