This website uses third party cookies to improve your experience. If you continue browsing or close this notice, you will accept their use.

Information for non EU students

Non EU students are required to have a visa and a residence permit when studying in Italy.


All non-EU citizens participating at LUISS School of Government must have (even for periods not exceeding 90 days) one of the following types of entry visas: study, diplomatic, work, religious or family reunification. Visas are issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the home country of the foreign student based on documentation provided by the LUISS School of Government at the moment of formal admission. Starting 1 September 2010, any citizen of any of the countries listed below (*) in possession of a tourist visa for periods not exceeding 90 days may register to attend Italian language courses at the University. Finally, visas cannot be issued (nor prolonged) to foreigners who are already in Italy.

(*) Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Japan, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaya, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Christopher (Saint Kitts) and Navis, San Marino, the Holy See, Seychelles, Singapore, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela, Special Administrative Regions of the People’s Republic of China: SAR of Hong Kong, SAR of Maca, British subjects who are not considered citizens of the Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland under Community law: British Nationals (Overseas).

Residence Permit

Non-EU citizens coming to the LUISS School of Government with a “D” or “D+C” study visa should fill in a form to be submitted to any Italian post office within 8 days following their arrival in Italy. The following documentation should be attached to the application:

  • A photocopy of the entire passport
  • A photocopy of the certificate stating the course to be attended, authenticated by the Italian Embassy or Consulate upon issuance of the entry visa
  • Photocopy of the I.N.A.-Assitalia health insurance policy or of a foreign health insurance policy, authenticated by the Italian Embassy or Consulate, and valid in Italy for the entire duration of the residence permit against risks related to illness and/or accidents
  • Tax stamp of 14.62 euros to be bought in Italy
  • Inpayment form of 27.50 euros

Those already in Italy for study purposes and with a residence permit about to expire should request renewal before the expiry date. The adminstrative staff of LUISS School of Government will provide the necessary assistance.